Skip to main content

December 17, 2020

I've been practicing writing small classified-type ads. It's fun. It also sharpens the blade. I am testing them on a subscriber list to see if they get any traction. If you want to see a few, let me know.

RankMath vs. Yoast SEO

I used to use the Yoast SEO plugin on my WordPress sites. Now, I'm slowly moving to RankMath Pro. I used the free version on a few sites and really liked it. So I ponied up and bought the pro version. So far, so good.

But I did run into a problem with it. WordPress was reporting it needed updating, and when I tried to update it, it failed, giving me the message, “Update package not available.

Well, after 5 seconds of Google searching, I found the solution. If you're using RankMath, you may want to watch this video:

Getting this message? Update package not available. Watch this to the end.

That solved it. Instead of clicking “update,” just re-upload the files. WordPress will ask if you want to overwrite what's there–you do. Easy.

Digital Currency

Shifting gears…Bitcoin has gone through the roof. I think it passed $20,000 for the first time ever. It actually hit $23,770. Right after, it dropped 7 percent. Seems nuts.

So it's peaked again. Maybe. It could reverse the drop and just keep going up. Who knows. One may wonder, “Who cares?”

I don't know much about crypto currencies, but I do know that some major financial institutions have warmed up to the idea of a digital currency.

So keep watching if you like drama. It may be too late to get in. And it may not be a roller coaster ride you like.

Simplification

I'm thinking about doing some “minimalization” in my life, both personal and business. Things I'm considering:

  • Selling and/or giving away most of the books I have on my bookshelf. Either replace them with digital versions or just do away with them. Probably some of both. Amazon is offering a free 60-day trial to Kindle Unlimited. I may give it a try.
  • Selling stuff on various marketplaces (eBay, Facebook, Craigslist) that I should have sold before I moved the last six times. Carrying stuff around in boxes for 20+ years is beyond stupid. It costs in many ways.
  • Reducing what I use in my business in terms of tools, plugins, programs, etc. Do I really need two VPNs? Do I need Dropbox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive, and Amazon (whatever they call theirs)? Do I need MS Office? Google offers pretty decent alternatives.
  • I'm pretty good on clothing. I only wear jeans and tee shirts nowadays (shorts in the summer). I could get rid of some clothes I still have in boxes.
  • What else?

Have a great day today. We'll talk tomorrow. I'm trying to establish a habit of daily blogging. This post was inspired by Scripting News, a blog that's been updated every day since 1994 (I think). Dave Winer even has an “uptime” clock in his footer; it's been running for 26 years! Subscribe to his list, but beware, he's pretty liberal and doesn't mince words. But he is a tech pioneer (he IS the guy who created the podcast and was instrumental in creating blogging and RSS).


The article was originally published here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinterest: Sitting Infographic

http://bit.ly/1OA01C5 Sitting Infographic http://bit.ly/1D6ZKpP

Internet Marketing Gimmicks #37

If you're like me, you get hundreds of emails a day, along with countless tweets and Facebook updates, many of which originate from "internet marketers." Most of this stuff is just internet marketing gimmicks. I got one today. It is pretty tame but nevertheless it's a marketing gimmick, designed to get you to act on something when you really wouldn't otherwise. Sometimes, they're disguised as "calls to action," like "Click the buy button now." Except they have an additional hook or fear Read more...and please RT, like, and share.

Think Article Directories Are Dead?

Think again! Article directories are far from dead. Read on. I just went over to Alexa, and while nobody's web statistics are 100 percent accurate (how could they be?), I found this:   [caption id="attachment_6041" align="aligncenter" width="562"] Alexa ranking for Ezinearticles.com[/caption] Alexa is a great way to compare the relative traffic of one site over another. The lower the "Alexa Traffic Rank," the better. The rank of 379 means that, according to Alexa's data, Read more...and please RT, like, and share.