Skip to main content

February 2, 2021 – RSS, Seth Godin, and Owning Your Own Virtual Real Estate

Daily blog post, February 2, 2021

I read an old article today from Seth Godin called, “In Defense of RSS.” It was written in 2011, but the message still rings true today.

RSS is still badass

RSS is how I consume a lot of information. It's a part of my strategy for providing my weekly roundups (Once a Week Newsletter).

I'd like to consume ALL of my sources through RSS. And I can. I just haven't done it yet. Yes, you can even add email newsletters to your feeds!

What do I use for my RSS feeds? Inoreader. It's the best. It has a ton of features and you get even more as a Pro subscriber (which I am).

Check out Seth Godin

I mean, if you haven't already. He writes a blog post every day. And every single one of them has good stuff. He should be in your feed reader!

Own Your Own Virtual Real Estate

This post says it all. I've harped on this for years. Hell, decades.

Sure, your webhost can shut you down. But if you make regular and frequent backups, you won't lose a thing. You can move your site to another host and you're back in business.

Plus, if you keep your site security up to date, you won't suffer huge outages like when AWS goes down. Or twitter. Or, ahem, Parler. LOL

Of course, your host could fail. Your server could fail. Lots of things can go wrong. But you can always move. I use UpdraftPlus. IF, for any reason, I want to move from one host to another, I can. Within minutes.

Late last year, my twitter account was permanently suspended. ALL twenty thousand tweets. Gone. All the people I follow and who followed me. Gone. All the blog posts I tweeted about. Gone.

(Don't worry. You will NEVER hear me cry foul about how twitter took away my First Amendment rights. They did not. It's their platform. They get to set the rules, even if those rules are silly, stupid, inconsisten, and arbitrary.)


The article was originally published here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinterest: Sitting Infographic

http://bit.ly/1OA01C5 Sitting Infographic http://bit.ly/1D6ZKpP

Internet Marketing Gimmicks #37

If you're like me, you get hundreds of emails a day, along with countless tweets and Facebook updates, many of which originate from "internet marketers." Most of this stuff is just internet marketing gimmicks. I got one today. It is pretty tame but nevertheless it's a marketing gimmick, designed to get you to act on something when you really wouldn't otherwise. Sometimes, they're disguised as "calls to action," like "Click the buy button now." Except they have an additional hook or fear Read more...and please RT, like, and share.

Think Article Directories Are Dead?

Think again! Article directories are far from dead. Read on. I just went over to Alexa, and while nobody's web statistics are 100 percent accurate (how could they be?), I found this:   [caption id="attachment_6041" align="aligncenter" width="562"] Alexa ranking for Ezinearticles.com[/caption] Alexa is a great way to compare the relative traffic of one site over another. The lower the "Alexa Traffic Rank," the better. The rank of 379 means that, according to Alexa's data, Read more...and please RT, like, and share.