Skip to main content

January 4, 2021 – What Are Your 2021 Themes?

Daily blog post for January 4, 2021

Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over, it's time to get to work!

I'm not a goal-setter. I don't do SMART goals. And I don't do resolutions, either, especially as a new year starts. Instead, I do “themes.”

Maybe my aversion to goal-setting comes from decades in the corporate world, where setting SMART goals has become a “best practice” that nearly every Fortune 500 company follows. I hate the whole idea of setting goals.

SMART goals are dumb. Themes are where it's at!
SMART goals are dumb

It seems so…robotic and meaningless. Here's how it works:

  • You set 3 to 5 goals you want to achieve by the end of the year. You generally do this in March or April.
  • You do your job 5 days (or more) a week, 8 hours (usually more) a day for 50 weeks (you get a two-week vacation somewhere in the middle).
  • In October, your manager and other managers vie for the small pittance the company sets aside for raises next year. If you're really good, you get 3 percent. If they want to keep you, you get one to two percent. Whoopty!
  • In December, you write your own review and show evidence of how you achieved each goal in eight months time (remember, you didn't set any goals until March or April).
  • None of it matter because your raise has already been set and there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

Jaded? Yes. I tried setting goals with my own business and I couldn't slip that sinking feeling I had when I had a job…so I just stopped.

So instead of setting SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relavant, and Time-bound) like “lose 25 pounds this year,” I say, “I'm going to eat healthier, practice intermittent fasting, and train 45 minutes every single day.”

What results is that I feel better, don't get disappointed when I miss making the goal, and feel totally unstressed.

It works for me.

Themes for 2021

I alluded to one above. Health is priority #1. I got a Fitbit (which I resisted for years) and I'm digging it. I believe we get old when we stop moving and get complacent.

I DO want to accomplish things AND I endeavor to move a lot more in 2021. If I learned anything during the COVID-19 pandemic, it's that I can survive and thrive without going to the gym or interacting with others. Sure, I miss people.

But not that much 🙂

Theme #1 for 2021 - be more active!
Theme #1: Be more active!

Theme #1, therefore, is to be more active. I'm active two times a day. I generally will take a long brisk walk and weight train.

I'm also limiting my sugar intake (not being fanatical about it) – just cutting the soda. Also trying to limit carb intake so bread is no longer my friend.

But I know after a two weeks that all carb cravings vanish. I can do anything for two weeks.

Theme #2 is to Produce more than I Consume. This one is easier said than done. But it's doable. Part of producing more is this daily blog writing. It's something I enjoy and I hope you get something out of it, too.

A few posts back, I talked about building some funnels. This is my big push in 2021. I want to truly build some funnels that produce relatively passive income. I'll build these streams in a variety of niches that interest me and that hold true income-producing potential. They'll all be in the “Health, Wealth, Relationships, and Hobbies” niches.

If I can make $250 a month in 12 niches by the end of the year, that will be $3,000 a month on mostly autopilot.

I want to write another book series this year, too. I just haven't decided what the topic will be.

And I have one big project I want to complete this year. More on that later.

How about you? What are your themes in 2021? Tell me in the Comments!


The article was originally published here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinterest: Sitting Infographic

http://bit.ly/1OA01C5 Sitting Infographic http://bit.ly/1D6ZKpP

Internet Marketing Gimmicks #37

If you're like me, you get hundreds of emails a day, along with countless tweets and Facebook updates, many of which originate from "internet marketers." Most of this stuff is just internet marketing gimmicks. I got one today. It is pretty tame but nevertheless it's a marketing gimmick, designed to get you to act on something when you really wouldn't otherwise. Sometimes, they're disguised as "calls to action," like "Click the buy button now." Except they have an additional hook or fear Read more...and please RT, like, and share.

Think Article Directories Are Dead?

Think again! Article directories are far from dead. Read on. I just went over to Alexa, and while nobody's web statistics are 100 percent accurate (how could they be?), I found this:   [caption id="attachment_6041" align="aligncenter" width="562"] Alexa ranking for Ezinearticles.com[/caption] Alexa is a great way to compare the relative traffic of one site over another. The lower the "Alexa Traffic Rank," the better. The rank of 379 means that, according to Alexa's data, Read more...and please RT, like, and share.